appleinsider logo
Affiliate Disclosure
If you buy through our links, we may get a commission. Read our ethics policy.

Woman swallowed her AirPod after mistaking it for a vitamin

Third-generation AirPods

A new viral video on TikTok has a woman explaining how she accidentally swallowed one of her AirPods while chatting with a friend.

In the video, Utah resident Tanna Barker explained how the incident happened. She'd met up with a friend, and after taking her AirPod out to better hear, accidentally popped it into her mouth, thinking it was a vitamin.

"I put my vitamins in, took a drink, and I was like, man, those are stuck," she says in a video spotted by The Daily Mail.

"So I guzzled my water, kept on going, said bye to [the friend] and went to go get my AirPod. And my pills were in my hand. I swallowed my AirPod."

Barker immediately called close friends and doctors to ask for advice. They all told her to do the same thing — let it pass naturally.

"There's a bonus," Barker says while laughing. "I still have my right AirPod."

In the video, Barker wonders if anyone else has done the same thing. As it turns out — they have. Often.

In February 2021, a man from Massachusetts swallowed one of his AirPods in his sleep. The device had to be removed via emergency endoscopy.

In November 2021, a Massachusetts woman swallowed one of her AirPods after mixing up her AirPods and an ibuprofen.

In June 2022, a celebrity in the UK accidentally swallowed an AirPod, after mistakenly consuming the Apple wireless earbud along with her vitamins. She later threw it up.